Friday, March 20, 2009

Planting Holly Bushes

I have been researching varieties of Holly bushes. I really want to have some that I can cut from for Christmas decorating. I also want a big one that will grow into a conical shape. My neighbors have some large ones and they are so beautiful. The shrubs in the front of our house took a beating several years due to the ice and now we have bare spots and two big boxwoods. I want to totally revamp the front landscaping.

I purchased one like this, it is a Castle Spire. It is supposed to grow about 8-10 feet and grow in a pyramid shape. Of course, it is small right now. I just have to figure out the right spot to put it.

I think I am going to purchase some of the Blue Princess in the front of the house. I also have to find a spot for the "male" bush. This is where I get confused. Does anyone know if they male bushes have to be the same variety? Any advice or tips, e-mail me at macmadday@aol.com.

1 comment:

  1. Michelle,

    If your neighbors have beautiful holly, you probably don't need a male holly. According to most of the nurseries, if you're within several miles of a male holly (and you are), the hollies will propagate from that. Most American hollies cross pollinate with other hollies. Research from trying to find a male holly for my parent's holly...can't find a male Foster holly.

    ReplyDelete