Monday, April 20, 2009

Tea Dyed Sampler

I finally finished my sampler that I have been working on forever!!! I just didn't like how the fabric looked. It was too blah, so I went on a search for a recipe to age the fabric. Here is the end result.I really like how it turned out. To "age" the aida cloth, I used 4 tablespoons of instant tea to 3 cups of water. I put it on the stove to boil, then I put the sampler in the pan. When I first took it out of the water the dye was too even. Then I remembered somewhere I saw to put it in the oven. So I set the oven on the lowest setting, about 200 degrees, put the stitchery in a glass baking dish and baked it! I looked at it in a frame, but I think I will look for a piece of coverlet to put it on and then frame it. I can't remember how much it cost me to buy a piece of aida cloth at the stitchery store that looked aged, but I think I will just do it myself next time!
This added April 23, 2009: I haven't had this problem before, but I was thinking you should probably make sure your threads are colorfast. I used DMC floss on this particular project. But some of the hand dyed threads might bleed.

7 comments:

  1. i love that! the aging looks great~i've never used tea~may have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great technique! If you ever sell it at a yard sale I bet they will think they are getting a bargain for such an old piece of handwork!

    blessings
    mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do counted cross stitch, too. However, I've never aged a fabric. Good job. Thanks for the tip about "baking" the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Michelle...

    Oooh...what a beautiful sampler! I loved the "aged" look...it looks as though it could have been stitched a hundred years ago..amazing! Since I am unfamiliar with samplers, I wasn't sure what you meant by putting it on a coverlet? Would love to know what that means. Anyway, it's beautiful piece...you can be very proud of your handiwork!!!

    Warmest wishes,
    Chari

    ReplyDelete
  5. Turned out great. I tea or coffee stain almost everything I do, I like the look of age and wear. I can just "see" it framed on a coverlet, please show us pictures again when this is done! ~Ann

    ReplyDelete
  6. That turned out great!
    So, did putting in the oven to dry make it uneven?
    Not sure i followed that past.
    Blessings,
    Barbara Jean

    ReplyDelete