Monday, January 24, 2011

This Weekend's Project

I just updated my Bucket List to include "finishing lots of projects". Like most sewers/quilters, I have lots of fabric. Eight plastic shoeboxes and four large plastic totes full of fabric. Before Christmas I labelled them with colors and what was in them. I even measured out larger pieces and put a note on them so I could use them for quilt backs. Sounds pretty organized, huh? Not really.

A freind of mine has a little quilt that she made out of toile. All colors. It was just a simple patchwork, but I love that quilt. I mean, I would steal it if the chance came about! So a couple of years ago, I was on a quest for toile. Not finding what I was after, I came across these two colors of fabric in a little quilt shop in Louisville. So I bought what they had. Not having a plan in the world for this fabric, I just took what they had.
Fast forward 2 years and I am in panic mode because I can't find any more fabric like this! Why do I do this to myself? I made all the 9 patch blocks that I could and came up with a total of 24. Now what? I really like this fabric. Kind of a shabby chic look. So here is the conversation between my daughter and myself:

Megan: Mom, that is really pretty. What are you going to do with it?


Mom: What do you mean? Like, have a plan for this finished quilt? Heck, I just buy the fabric that I love and wait to be inspired!


Megan: Really? I would think you would know what you are going to do with it.


Mom: You silly young thing! Just wait till the fabric bug bites you!


Megan: I really like that. Those colors are pretty!


Mom: You like it? You want it?(running into her room to clear off the bed and see how it looks) Hmmm, I could add several borders and it would fit that bed

Megan: Yeah, I do want it. I need a new quilt for my bed. You know the last one you made me was for High School graduation (2006).

Mom: Okay then! It's yours! (Thank goodness, someone wants it and it won't just lay folded in my pile of quilts that I have finished.)


Of course, I get one border around it and realize I miscalculated. I am 8 inches short of the last piece of polka dot. Grrrrr. I really wanted to get this done. Now I must go and purchase more fabric!!!

3 comments:

  1. *snicker* No doubt you'll find more fabric in there that you like, too!

    I LOVE toile! I am in total envy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle, I love it!! I still haven't figured out my Underground Railroad block, how lazy is that??? LOL Have been doing some organizing in my sewing room, so I need to get that out of the way, then I can get going. Can't wait to see your finished quilt. Bev

    ReplyDelete