Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Mantle Woes!

I need some advice. This is our fireplace. These vents are so ugly. Somehow the heat from the fireplace comes up through them. So we need them. But who wants to look at them all the time. I had a quilt hanging up there, but I like to change it from time to time and that was a pain. Drag out the ladder, blah, blah, blah. I had this idea to put up some old shutters, but the ones that I had were about 6 feet tall. And that didn't look right. I found an old window that I could put over them. But I need a way to cover the glass. I thought about putting a mirror behind the panes. But I don't want the mirror to look new. Does anyone know how to age mirrors to make them look old? Any suggestions are welcome!

2 comments:

  1. Good Morning Friend, I have had a couple houses with almost the exact problem & almost the exact same mantle...very rustic & simple which I loved!! Don't be afarid of height...the taller the better! A great architectural piece would be wonderful all worn & wonderful! I always opted for the large, antiqued & ornate mirror!, which also worked amazingly well, since the mirror adds light & a bit of sparkle to the room! I have a"country house & decor" as well, but adding something a bit dressier just makes the "country" part of the room "pop" & look even better! Good Luck! Sorry for the lecture...the "decorator" just came out in me! :) Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I have entered you in my "giveaway"! Good Luck!...heidi XO P.S. Be sure & visit my daughter today too...she also has a great giveaway! ( mommyholly.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I too like the idea of a mirror. You can use something like rub n buff to make the frame look older and more natural. You have a great space there!
    Diane

    ReplyDelete